6.11.2012

diy || $$$ organizer

I don't know about you guys, but I am always wishing for someway to store my money so I can balance what I spend and save, and what I spend and save for. I am a horrible saver, I mean, I really spend whatever and whenever I can, but lately I've been thinking: if I had something to organize my money with I'd probably get a lot better at saving. So I thought up a way I can do that!
If you want to learn how to organize your money, read on!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

>>Money Organizer<<

What you will need:
•3 pieces of colored paper (make sure the colors compliment each other)
•3 dollar bills
•Mod Podge or glue (try saying "mod podge" five times fast ;])
•Q-tips
•Scissors
•A pencil
•A marker or pen

Step 1: Lay the dollar bills out side-by-side on the paper you chose to be your background/main color like so:



With a pencil, lightly mark around the edges of the bill, but leave about a quarter of an inch on either side of it (does that make sense?).

Step 2: Take a dollar and lay it on a different piece of paper. Trace around it, but leave about half to 3/4 of an inch around two sides and the bottom. The top will be your opening. Then cut out the traced paper.
Step 3: Fold the side edges and the bottom edge in so the paper will be able to become a pocket.
 Step 4: Spread glue on the folded-in edges
 Step 5: Place the pocket on the pencil marks of the background piece. Press it down for about 30 seconds. This will give the glue time to set and dry.
 Step 6: Repeat steps 2-5 twice more until your background paper looks like this:
 Step 7: Cut out little strips of paper....



....And label your pockets. Think of what you really want to save money for/have money for. I recommend not being very specific with your labeling. For instance, if you're saving up for an iPod, I suggest writing "Electronics". That way, you'll always have a pocket for anything related to electronics, and the organizer will last you longer.
 Technically you're done making it, but here are two different ways you can store it:

1: Fold it into a pocketbook

 2: Tape thread to the back and hang it on the wall
 I hope you guys found this useful, and if you end up doing it I'd love to see photos of your own personalized ones!

-hannah
p.s. Check out this giveaway, it's pretty awesome!

6 comments:

  1. that is so cute! i have to have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats such a good idea! Great way to start saving!

    Thanks for reading my blog, just begun following yours =)

    Gem

    http://lipglossandcandyfloss.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, you have no idea how much of a blessing this is!! Just an hour ago, I was trying to think of a better way to organize my money, because I tend to spend spend spend, and that realize that I only have a couple dollars. :/ This is an adorable idea, and I plan on doing it ASAP. :)

    luv ya, girl!
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I love this! Definitely trying. :)

    ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought about this post! Just keep your comments clean ;)

-hannah